Saturday, September 18, 2010

Deception Pass WIP #3 and Finished Piece

I am very glad I decided to do this piece in stages.  Using the whole sheet of paper is still kinda scary and I loved my pencil sketch so much it was hard to add color.  I kept thinking that I was going to ruin it somehow.  After I did the mountains, I worked on the sky, trying to get the fade to almost white towards the horizon to look natural.


I was still rather unhappy with the mountains' color... a little too green.  So when I took up the painting today I decided to add more browns throughout and I think it looks more like the real thing.  I also decided to try wax to create the reflection of the sailboat in the water as well as the crests of the waves left by the faster passing ships.  I found that layering the blue after amble drying time got the color dark enough finally.  Overall I am pretty proud of myself.  I really like it.


I am already trying to find another larger subject to paint so I can feel more comfortable with a whole sheet of paper.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice, Elizabeth!

    Can't wait to see what you do next.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first full sheet of WC paper. That's the way to really immerse yourself into this wacky medium. Watching for the next installment... of course, no pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tackling that size would seem overwhelming to me! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice - I hope you do frame it. I trust this will be the first of many! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad your like it. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woah, well done you! For a 'first whole sheet of paper' (I like your terminology) attempt this is fantastic. You have filled the space with a lovely composition. You really should frame it and feel proud of your achievement!

    ReplyDelete