Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Beginning

I have found that sometimes I need to just get fed up enough with something before I finally commit to making a change.  I was fed up with lack of mathematical ability so I went back to school.  And now I am tired of not having the one talent I wished I had my whole life- being able to draw.  More specifically, having my drawings look like what they are...not a vague elementary school interpretation.  I have decided that I am going to learn to draw and best way to do it is to just get out there and do it.

Currently, I am using Sharpie Ultra Fine tip pens, Strathmore 90lb coldpress watercolor paper, and some watercolors I got at Michaels. Here are my first attempts at drawing.  Each piece is 9"x6".


These are leaves I found outside my house.



This is a lizard made out of recycled aluminum cans I bought at the Smithsonian.



A view from the park next to Pike Place Market.



A tree in Elizabeth Park, Bellingham, Washington.

14 comments:

  1. Welcome to EDM! Your drawings are fabulous! And they show the fun you are having doing them. The lizard may be my favorite but it's a hard choice - I really like them all a lot. Hope to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You taken some very nice directions in your drawing...and I love the photo you've chosen for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I was really nervous to show people. I took the photo in Bellingham, Washington last June- its overlooking Bellingham Bay from Boulevard Park. Its one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your sketches! Welcome to EDM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome! Your sketches are great - you are already developing your style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to EDM! This is a great group for support and inspiration (I just joined recently myself).

    I like your style, keep at it, you are already on your way to developing that skill you are talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to EDM - and and congratulaiotns for just getting out there and drawing !. I really like the lizard, but the leaves are beautiful as well. I look forward to seeing more of your art

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to EDM and that's a really good start !I like the view from the park very much but the lizard is so original!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to edm! You'll love it here! This is a wonderful group of people!

    And these are some fantastic sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, welcome. I love your sketches. You have done a great job on them. Don't allow anyone or thing to side track you. You have talent and keep developing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pictures - I love the lizard!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great drawings! I especially love the lizard!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful paintings, 9 days! Wow, i started 2+ years ago, and what an amazing journey it's been. Just keep making art, lots of it, and you'll be amazed at what the next year, and year after that will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stumbled upon your site today. These are very nice journal images. It is quite a fun hobby!! Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete