It has been a rough couple of months for me and I sorta lost my drive to draw or paint or sketch or doodle... or anything creative really. I've tried but couldn't do it. But today I felt different and for the first time in a long time I got my stuff together, headed to the park, and decided I wasn't going home until I had something done.
There was this birthday party in the park and the kids were really having a great time with this pinata. It didn't matter how far away from them you got in the park, their screams after each whack would reach you. So I drew my own. The thing that will stick with me though is the little Indian girl, maybe 8 years old, playing soccer with her dad near where I was sitting. After kicking the ball around for a while, they finally sat down and the girl starts talking. And talking. And talking about life, the universe, and everything. I was so intrigued at the sheer volume of material she had to talk about I started timing her. She talked for at least 14 minutes straight (I didn't start when she started... this is how long she talked when I timed her)! The dad just sat there and listened to every word she said. What's strange is that this piece has nothing to do with the girl and her dad but the two are joined now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm glad you're back drawing again. I stopped for quite a long time a while ago and have now re-connected with the wonderful EDM group which is so inspiring. Do keep it up!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back, sweet little pinjata.
ReplyDeleteEWian
Good for you for climbing back up on the saddle. And, what an apt subject! It's very cute and I like the little frame you put around it. nancy
ReplyDeleteWonderful that you are back. Love how your picture and the scene are intertwined. A meaningful drawing indeed! I also like how you framed your pinata. Anyway, tou reminded me that when my 20-year-old son was 6 or so, he used to do the same thing, about video games and cartoons, fake creatures and stuff, and he would go on and on and on. My wife and I wouldn't understand half of what he was saying, but we would just listen to his enthusiasm..it was a joy.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! This is a great sketch and I love how your pinata breaks the frame at the top. I also loved hearing the story about the girl talking.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful way to emerge from a creative slump - you were so "in the minute." Your story really illustrates that listening really well, and not talking, is extremely valuable.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! Cute little drawing, and it looks cheerful so that means you're glad to be back too ^^ Hope to see more brilliant stuff from your brush strokes.
ReplyDeleteI, too, have noticed that when life is difficult, the first thing to go is my creativity. Yet it is also the thing that can keep me going through those difficult times! So glad you are getting back to your art work.
ReplyDeleteWonderful job on the horse. I am glad you are back. You have a terrific style.
ReplyDeleteThe piñata is so COOL!
ReplyDelete